Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Will of Massanello Womack

Massanello Womack Will - Shelby County, Kentucky, Will Book B, page 93

{I added some punctuation and broke into paragraphs for readability.}

In the name of God Amen I Massanello Womack of Spencer County and State of Kentucky being sound in body and also of sound mind and memory and considered the uncertainty of life do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following (to wit):

Item 1st - I want all my just debts paid off the first thing.

Item 2nd - I give to my son John W Womack one dollar as he has heretofore had his proporton of my estate.

Item 3rd - I give to my daughter Sally G Maddox two hundred and eighteen dollars it being a note of hand dated the 1st day of March 1836 for two hundred dollars with its interest of eighteen dollars that I hold on Stephen H Maddox her husband in full for her interest in my estate.

Item 4th - I give to my granddaughter Judith F Jewel one Cow and Calf and my kitchen furniture that she has now in her possession.

Item 5th - I give to my granddaughter Martha Jane Dabney one folding table and one chest.

Item 6th - I give to my grandson Robert J Dabney my bed, bed stead and furniture and my saddle and bridle.

Item 7th - It is my will and desire that my negro man named Tom shall be emancipated and set free and receive fifty dollars out of my estate as circumstances will admit of.

Item 8th - It is my will and desire further that the balance of my estate not otherwise disposed of including money on hand shall be equally divided between my grandchildren namel Eliza Jewel, Garland A Dabney, Judith F Jewel, Martha Jane Dabney and Robert J Dabney.

Item 9th - I give to my nephew William Womack Junr one hundred and fifty acres of land Land lying now in Gallatin County formerly Shelby County Kentucky being part of a tract of land containg six hundred and eighteen acres the one hundred and fifty acres of Land was given some years before the balance of said tract was conveyed but I want it distinctly understood that I do not warrant or defend the right of said Land against any newer or better claim.

Item 10th - I hereby ordain constitute and appoint William Jewel Senr, Robert Jewel and William Jewell Junr as Executors to this my last will and testamant with full power and authority to carry this my last will and testament into full and complete effect as witness whereof I here unto set my hand and seal August 25th 1837.

Massanello Womack (Seal)

Witness Edmund Stone
James Wakefield
Jesse B Crocklin {???}

At a County Court held for Spencer County on Monday the 3rd day of September 1838 this invitory{?} purporting to be the last will and testament of Massanello Womack deceased was proved according to law by the oaths of Edmund Stone and James Wakefield witnesses thereto and it is ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Robert Jewell and William Jewell Junr two of the Executors therin named who made oaths thereto and together with William Jewell Senr their security entered into and acknowledged a bond in the penalty of $250 conditioned as the law directs Certificate is granted the said Robert Jewell and William Jewell Junr for obtaining as probate of the said will in due from William Jewell Senr the other executor named in said will appeared in court and refused to take upon himself then further of the execution thereof. Atteste Raphl Lancaster CSCC {Clerk of Shelby County Court}.

{Will is followed immediately by an Inventory on p.94 (6 Sep 1838), and a List of Sales on p.95 (13 Sep 1838) with the Jewell family appearing most often; no Womacks were buyers. The estate was settled 3 Sep 1839 on p.221 with a full list of credit and debits of the estate. Tom, the slave freed by Massanello, received his $50, and I believe he left Kentucky and was the black Thomas Womack (born circa 1812 in VA) in Clark Co, IN for the 1840 and 1850 censuses.}

No comments: