Monday, February 1, 2010

Will of Abner Womack, Warren County, Tennessee

From Generations of Thomas A and Louvisa Rice Womack, by Oscar B Womack

Warren Co, TN Will Book 3, p.279

The last will and testament of Abner Womack, deceased.

I, Abner Womack do make and publish this my last will and testament, hereby revoking and making void all other wills by me at any time made.

First, I direct that my funeral expenses and all my debts be paid as soon after my death as possible, out of any moneys that I may die in possession of or that come into the hands of my executor.

Secondly. I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Martha Womack, a certain tract or parcel of land lying and being in the county of Warren and State of Tennessee, on Mountain Creek, it being the same tract that I am possessed of by my marriage to her. I also direct that she have one the first choice of my cows and calves, also a choice two or three year old heifer or steer, also a choice bedstead and furniture and half the bedclothing now in my possession. One brass mounted bureau, a choice set of plates, teacups and saucers and dish, also choice of three knives and forks, three chairs and three glasses, the smallest size kettle, a choice pot and skillet, all her own clothing and the value of five dollars in small articles not herein mentioned together with twenty-five dollars in good and lawful money out of my effects, also a small dining table. I also desire that my beloved wife shall be treated with all the respect due a faithful and virtuous step-mother by each and every one of my children and that they at no time see her in need without ministering to her relief.

Thirdly. Having given something more or less to all my children and not having any correct knowledge of the amount, I therefore desire that no account be taken of it.

Fourthly, I also desire that all my lands, negroes, horses, cattle, hogs, and sheep and every other description of property that I am possessed of, be sold and the proceeds thereof be equally divided between all m children or their heirs (that is to say), William, John, Nathan, Burgess, Drucilla, Abner C., Lucy, Elizabeth, Ransom P., Artelera, Robert B., Mary, Berry H., and Martha.

Lastly. I do hereby appoint Burgess H. and Ransom P. my executors. In witness I do to this my last will set my hand and seal this 28th day of December, 1842.

Abner Womack (seal)

Signed, sealed and published in our presence.
W. T. Christian
Henry Watkins
Hiram Christian

I also desire that my wife, Martha, {have?} a spinning wheel and cards and her own looking glass, candle stand, and candlestick, also one white flowered pitcher. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 21st of January 1843.

Abner Womack (seal)

Attest.
W. T. Christian
Henry Watkins
Hiram Christian

State of Tenn. Warren County. January term County Court 1856.
This day the will was proven by the oath of W.T. Christian, one of the subscribing witnesses to this will and also the oath of proven the handwriting of Henry Watkins and Hiram Christian, they living in another State, and ordered by the court to be spread {?} of record.
Given under my hand at office in McMinnville, this 7th day of January 1856.
R, McGregor, clk.

No comments: