Saturday, September 1, 2007

Womack who married Mary Lanier

I have done some research on Benjamin Womack who married Nancy Jones, and who was in the 1850 Census of Gadsden Co, FL. See:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~reburke/lines/data/womack/ew/pre1851/fl.html#FL

I see the proof that this Benjamin was the son of Mary Lanier and her first husband, a Mr. Womack. I have also seen the assertions that he was Benjamin Womack (or Wommack), Sr, but as of yet no proof that his name was Benjamin.

Frederick Womack of Effingham Co, GA was a Lt. in the Rev War, had sons William, Wiley, Allen, Frederick, John, and possibly Jacob. Besides William, I have just bits and pieces on the other sons, but enough to show relationships if anyone is interested.

I found this Bible record of Frederick's son William, also a Rev War vet:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ga/schley/bibles/womack.txt

Besides William's kids, it lists two daughters of Allen Womack, Betsey and Lucy. In his will (Screven Co, GA, dated 21 Apr 1817, proved 3 Nov 1817), Benjamin Lanier lists Sally, Lucy, Betsey, and Hannah as the daughters of his dau Mary. So, two of the names match Allen's daughters. Also, the time period is correct.

I have seen Allen and Wiley Womack on militia lists in the 1790s for Effingham Co, GA. I have never seen any record of a Benjamin Womack in Georgia in that time period. I have seen a LOT of Womack records for Georgia, since I live here and have easy access to some great libraries and the GA State Archives.

So, my hypothesis is that Mary Lanier married Allen Womack. There was no "Benjamin Wommack, Sr" that I can find.

No comments: